The Important Things In Life

What are the important things in life? This question has been running through my head lately. I’m almost 50 years old and usually at this point of your life you look at where you are, where you’ve come, and where you are heading. I’m not saying I’m going through a mid-life crisis but I’m reflecting on my life, how its going, my future goals and aspirations, etc. A few days back I was having a conversation with someone and we were discussing my career, etc. With limited Principal positions coming up in the district I work the suggestion came. up that I look outside of my district if I want to further my career and find a Principal position. I immediately said that I was not looking to move districts to find a Principal position as this would take away from my family time. Anyone that lives in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia knows the traffic gridlock and mayhem on the #1 Highway during the peak hours. At this point of my life I already work 9-10 hours per day. My time, especially the time with any family, is valuable. Too valuable to be sitting in traffic.

Its been about 3-4 days since this conversation and I still hold true to this statement. I believe our time on this earth is short and we need to prioritize what is important to us.  Would I prioritize work and future promotion over my family? The answer to the question is no.  Anytime an administrator retires some of the things they always say are – spend more time with your family, go home at a reasonable hour, don’t stress too much, etc. At this point of their lives they truly understand that everyone is replaceable and someone will easily fill your shoes and life at your school will continue on without you. Life is like that as well. I think it’s important that we prioritize what is important to us.

My father passed away in March due to COVID. For years I would meet him after work and we would go for coffee at Tim’s. Sometimes we hardly had much to talk about and we just commented on things like cars going by on the road, etc. But these were special moments as we were together. In the last year or so we didn’t have these meetings due to my work hours and I regret putting work over family. I think we all have to reflect on what is important to us in our lives as our time on this planet is short and we will soon be a mere memory to the people that were important to us. But these memories are what will be remembered. The moments that create these memories should be the most important things in our lives. Let’s try and leave that last email or voice message for the next day. Go home…be with your friends and family, talk to your neighbour, do something nice. These things are the most important things in life.